Friday, April 14, 2023

2023 DC Trip, Day 11, Friday, April 14th – D.C. Local

 2023 DC Trip, Day 11, Friday, April 14th – D.C. Local

Slept quite soundly, had breakfast at McDs a very short walk from the Holiday Inn. Today will be more, but better planned walking.

We caught the shuttle to the subway stop again, so that saved .7 miles. But, used the wrong escalator to leave the station near the Smithsonian, so had to walk just a tad more. Nice view, though:


 My first museum of the day was the National Gallery, west unit, way down at the far end of the Mall. I told the info desk that I wanted to visit the galleries with American art, but she told me that the area had been condensed and scattered because of construction. I say some Copleys, lots of Gilbert Stuart portraits, and a Peale. A couple of landscapes looked like Hudson River school, but turned out to show Italian scenes. They did have one O'Keeffe.

I did see the da Vinci (very well protected), and works by numerous other well-known artists (at least ones I'd heard of – plus some whom I'd not). As I thought, I could have spent the whole day there, but I wanted plenty of time to visit the American History museum.  

It was a long walk. I stopped to take a few architectural photos along the way:

                                                Frieze on the Treasury (?) Building

                         Dogwood in bloom, by a colonnaded portico of the National Gallery


I went in, took the elevator to the 3rd floor, and went through the America at War exhibit. Down a floor was the Democracy exhibit, and the ships & railroads took over much of the ground floor.

I ran into most of the rest of our party at the food trucks behind the history museum. After a snack, they were headed for the Natural History museum that I saw on Wednesday.

Really tired, I headed back to the subway, now a veteran rider. Back at the hotel, cleaned up and replenished electrolytes, and ready to go to dinner at the Army-Navy Country Club. I get to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment