Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Wednesday, April 4th - Murray to Franklin

      2023 DC Trip Day, Day 2 – Murray KY to Franklin TN


Slight change of route in order to beat the storms on the way. I skipped Land Between the Lakes and headed to Fort Donelson by the most direct route. I got there at 0745 – it doesn't open until 0800 – so I walked around and looked at some interpretive signs and gun emplacements.

                                                Trench line, with gun in background


The trenchlines were once protected by an abatis – it appears that strong winds provided a natural one – facing the wrong direction.


                        The river battery of 32-pounders worked over the Federal gunboats.


                                                Defenders surrendered at this hotel.


I headed south before 0900, following TN-49, a road that runs right along the Tennessee River (aka Kentucky Lake) for quite a ways. Eventually, it connected to TN-46,, where I passed Who Dat meat processing. The town of Erin sports Irish flags (modern, not the traditional harp). I picked up TN-7, coming out at the Duck River in downtown Columbia.

I picked up US-31, aka the Columbia Pike, and followed Schofield's retreat route toward Spring Hill. The wagon traffic must have been heavy then, and it was heavy today. The only thing worse than the traffic was the price of gas - $3.79 in some places! I stopped at Rippavilla, a preserved plantation – Hood's army camped on its grounds.

                                                    Rippavilla main house


On to my real goal – Franklin. The Battle of Frankin took place on November 30th, 1864. Over 20,000 Confederates (including Cockrell's 1st Missouri Brigade) attacked close to that many Federals in their hastily prepared fortifications, with massive losses. That's more Rebs than in Picket's Charge at Gettysburg, made across well over a mile of open ground, without artillery preparation.

I booked a 90 minute personal tour of the core part of the battlefield, in the vicinity of the Carter farm along the Columbia Pike.

                                            Carter house & outbuildings, from back


                                            Fire was intense here – this is inside the farm office.


I saw approximately where Cockrell's Missourians overran the main Federal line, only to be forced out by reserves – no pictures.

I finally started off to my motel north of Franklin in Brentwood area, about 6 or so miles away. With some wrong turns, heavy rain as the front came through, and horrendous traffic, I ended up spending an hour to drive 13 miles

Tomorrow I afternoon I'll take the battlefield tour at Carnton, looking for the location of my great grandfather's Missouri battery. I'll also visit the McGavock Cemetery, where so many Missourians lie.


177 miles for the day, 633.1 for the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment