Saturday, April 8, 2023

Day 5 – Saturday, April 8th – Conover, NC, to Lexington, VA

 2023 DC Trip Day 5 – Saturday, April 8th – Conover, NC, to Lexington, VA

Left my motel at 0740 EDT on NC-16 to Wilkesboro. Passed downstream of a dam on the Catawba River. Thomasville has a pro rodeo coming in May; it also has a store selling deer apples (I presume that's nothing like a road apple). I turn onto NC-268 to Rocky River, in Wilkes County, was the home of Sandra's Adams ancestors, and Roaring River was the place. It's a small town named for the stream beside it. It has a large, active grain elevator, but no DG store.


Further down NC-268, I pass through Ronda – I didn't get a shot of the big metal yard rooster atop a matching gold van on the corner. At Elkin, I turn onto US-21 headed for Roaring Gap and a jaunt on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's cold, 37, but dry. The haze is too thick to get a decent landscape picture.


I pass two bicyclists north of the Blue Ridge Music Center. Fancy Gap Cabins along side but just off the parkway are tiny – I've seen bigger privies. Some of the land is farmed; the earth has a dark red color. Most facilities are closed, since the “season” hasn't started. A mill, likely restored, presents a nice picture; the nearby store is closed.

 


One section of the Parkway features nice stands of pine, with a thick understory of shrubs with dark green foliage. My thought was that these broad-leaf plants are members of the magnolia family – your thoughts?


The sky is far from clear, but it's bright enough for a few decent view photos – here's one.

 


Part of the parkway is closed, so I have to get off and take US-221 to Roanoke. Instead of following the detour and getting back on, I decide to look for something to eat. Nothing along that road, so I tried I-77 to Natural Bridge. The state park is more of a tourist trap, so rather than waiting in line to buy a ticket, I ask the information desk for a Virginia road map and dining advice. The map is forthcoming, along with a local guide and dining advice.

The Pink Cadillac Cafe parking lot looks like it'll be too crowded, so I move on. Lexington has a Southern Cafe; its menu intimidates my wallet, so I move on. I find my Best Western, check in and get more recommendations. I drive through Lexington again, this time past VMI. I don't like crowded narrow streets, so I move on.

Finally, a BBQ place! Pulled pork is not pulled as fine as we're used to, but it's good and plentiful. It has three home-made sauces, and I blended two for a great taste.

Back to the motel to unload and write this.

Tomorrow I'll take the Parkway if it's sunny, or a valley battlefield route if it's not. In either case, I end up at Winchester.

248.6 miles today, 1320.7 for the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment