Sunday, April 16, 2023

2023 DC Trip, Day 13, Sunday, April 16th – to Shelbyville, KY

2023 DC Trip, Day 13, Sunday, April 16th – to Shelbyville, KY

Today was the penultimate day of the trip. I was up at 0500 EDT and on the road by 0540. That was a good idea, as I was all the way to Manassas before seeing much traffic. I got off the interstate at Strasburg & picked up US-48. It started as a typical mountain 2-lane. Then, much to my surprise, became a 4-lane divided hiway, thanks to Sen. Richard Byrd, for whom this Appalachian Hiway is named. That persisted, despite a few gaps, for over half the distance to I-79.

While on it, I passed several CW battlefields, including Rich Mountain. My question – how in the world did they conduct campaigns and fight battles in that terrain?

I-79 was another mountain road with the occasional towns in small valleys and the roadsides were full of redbuds in bloom.. The closer I got to Charleston, the State Capital, the heavier the traffic. There, I-79 ends and I picked up I-64. It's now 1135, and I've driven 338 miles.

A bit under an hour later, I-64 crossed the Big Sandy into Kentucky. I found a welcome center with actual maps, so updated my supply. Hit a blinding rain storm just east of Murray – it was short, but rain persisted off-and-on to Lexington. After passing Lexington without problem, I-64 became busier. I arrived at Shelbyville, found my hotel, and went to a Cracker Barrel for Lunper (only meal of the day, unless you count a McD sausage biscuit about 0715).

As you might guess, I had no time for pictures. However, I did find tid-bits that Sandra would have pounced on:

Dismal Hollow Road. Hopeless Lane. Hinterland Road. Mountain Lion Avenue. Vegan Road. Fink Run Road. And Soapy Joe's Car Wash in Parsons.

Home tomorrow (I hope), via I-64 & US-50. Will try for an early start to beat the traffic in Louisville.

For the day – 567.3 miles, for the trip 2284.2.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment