Thursday, June 22, 2023

2023 New Orleans Trip Blog Day 6, Wednesday, June 21st - New Orleans (by foot & rail)

 And I was off looking for breakfast well before 0800. First glitch – I didn't get a real breakfast. I was way too early for Cafe Beignet on Bourbon, the next place was a bit too proud of its cusine, another was lined up. So I caught the streetcar, paid my 40 cents, and rode out to the stop serving the World War II museum.


I found this Army Air Corps bronze grouping touching – it commemorates the fliers who didn't make it back, via a depiction of a morning mission briefing.


The museum snack bar was open for business, I walked in, looked at the menu, looked at all the folks sitting there waiting on their orders, and decided to get something quick – a cinnamon roll. It turns out that it wasn't quick, either, but some folks were still waiting when I left just in time for the museum opening.

The museum has five major sections. The first has a Higgins boat (made in New Orleans) to look at after paying the toll. Then, you wait in line to get a digital picture made; you will have an opportunity to buy it later. Then they load you into a railroad coach for some introductory info.

Section 2 has some extra-price attractions and the restaurant. I had overpriced and mediocre gumbo.

Section 3 is the meat of the show – detailed exhibits on the European and Pacific wars, with plenty of sounds and flashing lights simulating shells & bombs. Actually, it does an excellent job telling what happened on both broad and personal scales. Section 4 has the home front exhibit and a special Disney & the war exhibit.

Section 5 has the best photo ops, with aircraft hanging from the ceiling and a tank near the entrance.

                                                   Corsair, the Navy's premier fighter
                                               B-17 Flying Fortress, pride of the 8th Air Force
P-51  North American Mustang, the key to fighter cover for bombers over Germany. The red tail designates the 332nd Fighter Group, aka Tuskegee Airmen

I spent at least four hours at this museum, and went through all the Kleenex in my pocket - I am becoming more and more affected by by both the valor and the tragedy of war. And, just across the street, is Confederate Memorial Hall museum. It holds artifacts, flags, portraits and uniforms, including that of Gen. Beauregard.


I took a crowded trolley back to Canal Street, and came back to my room to recuperate. About 1700, I went out for my last taste of New Orleans gumbo, this time at the open air Cafe Beignet on Bourbon Street. This cafe is located at a kind-of garden with statues of famous New Orleans jazz musicians. It was certainly better than lunch! Then, back to the hotel to get everything ready for an early start toward home.

 Tomorrow: I-35 to Jackson, then the Natchez Trace Parkway to Tupelo.


No comments:

Post a Comment