Friday, June 23, 2023

2023 New Orleans Trip Blog Day 8, Friday, June 23nd - Tupelo to Corinth, via Iuka

 I pulled out of Tupelo at 0640, still not-quite-sure whether I'd stop by Brices Crossroads before going to Iuka, or taking the Trace again. The exit to the Trace came up, and Subie just automatically took it. Again, it held many locals using it to commute, and again the traffic thinned out. I found a pull-out for a section of the trace; the sign said graves of 13 unknown Confederate soldiers was 5 minutes up the trail, so I paid them a visit. All were decorated with the Battle Flag.


Further up the Parkway, I saw a sign for a Hushpuppy Road. Another sign referred to a "slue," which I think was an early traveler's name for a sluggish body of water now spelled "slough."

This interesting mound complex is just off the road.


The road crosses the Tenn-Tom waterway, a modern barge canal that connects Mobile to the Ohio River, via the Tennessee and Tombigbee. Soon after crossing the canal, I exited onto MS-25 north and crossed it again. MS-25 goes through the town of Tishomingo, named for a Chickasaw chief. It's home of the Rainbow Store and Tish's One Stop.

I reached Iuka, named after another chief, at 0820. First stop was a DG to get some Windex to clean my windshield. Then I wandered around town looking at its nice park until the local museum opened. The Southern lady hosting today went overboard in helping me find information on the battle, one that involved Gen. Price's little army (including a certain artilleryman). I did not get a picture of the house where Gen. Little was buried, across the street from the museum, I ended up buying three small books and getting a feel for the terrain.

                                                    Mural on a downtown Iuka building
Monument in front of museum, looks like it may have been vandalized & cleaned.

On to Corinth. My first stop was a small interpretive park close to the tracks (the cross roads). Then I visited the old depot museums with some battle information, some railroad info, and plenty of local info. A train went by; both lines are still active. Here's a view of the place where the lines cross.


Next stop was the C&D Jarningan store, a major reenactor gear supplier. They mostly create & ship custom orders. I bought a new cap pouch and tried to not look shocked at the price. Then I hit the Civil War Interpretive Center, run by the NPS. I told the chief interpreter there about my great-grandfather Truman's memoir. Guess what – he'd found it and downloaded and printed it! He also gave me a copy of his references on Wade's Battery.

The entry walk to the center is embedded with bronze castings of the kinds of detritus left after a battle – uniform parts, gear, broken weapons, etc. The center is built next to the Battery Robinett site, one of the key points.

                        Side view of Interpretive Center with demonstration of fortifications
            "Unknown" marker at Battery Robinett site. Other monuments are mostly Texas

I followed parts of a driving tour. A developer put a high-dollar subdivision around the location of Battery F, which he promised to preserve. He kept his promise, but the earthwork is on private property and not accessible. Other places are of the "this was here" type.

 


The hotel recommended a BBQ place up the road, where I had an excellent pulled pork sandwich with slaw, beans & a drink, all for a ridiculously low price. It was just barely past 1400, so I needed something to do, maybe an 80+ mile round trip on good roads to visit Brices Crossroads, or save some time tomorrow and visit the site of the Davis Bridge/Hatchie River fight. I had a convenient map to the latter, so off I went. And went. And went. Roads were narrow, hilly, curvy, and just plain slow. When I finally got to the road site, I parked and started off walking. It was going to be a hike!

I came to this little monument to the unknown Confederates buried in the area, along with three Union graves. That was enough. I turned back and headed to Corinth on not quite so hilly, curvy roads. It was only 70 miles and took about 3 hours. I skipped some of the route.

 

                                            Little burial monument along road to Davis Bridge

Tomorrow is Shiloh day. I have all the time I want to tour the battlefield, then head less than 100 miles farther to Dyersburg. Home Sunday!

For the day, 149.3 miles. For the trip, 1666.0


No comments:

Post a Comment