Saturday, June 24, 2023

2023 New Orleans Trip Blog Day 9, Saturday, June 24th - Corinth to Dyersburg, via Shiloh Battlefield

 I was on the road by 0645 and reached the battlefield about 0715, via MS-2 & TN-22. I'd planned ahead and picked up the official NPS tour map at Corinth, so I knew about how I intended to make the rounds.

I entered near the south end and immediately started seeing significant sights. This is a view across a field looking toward the peach orchard, showing what I think is the only original structure remaining.


I saw this sign when passing by, stopped, and got out to document a key location for Bowen's Brigade, including the 1st Missouri Infantry.


Not far away is the site where General Johnston was wounded. A tourniquet, promptly applied, might have saved him from bleeding to death. The photo shows his monument, with the open field leading to the Federal lines in the background.


Bloody Pond, so named for the bleeding wounded who crawled here for water.


The Missouri monument, honoring those of both sides who fought here.


I took a one-way side road to a parking area for the Shiloh Mounds, dating from the Woodland period. The circle trail runs about a mile from the parking area and back. It was early, it was cool, so I walked it – after a liberal spritzing of 40% DEET.


Below: the Tennessee River as seen from the top of the tallest mound (the one with poison ivy growing into the stair steps)


This is the Confederate monument:


The famous sunken road from one side, followed by a shot of some guns representing the 50+ gin battery Gen. Ruggles put together to reduce the Hornets Nest.



One of a number of known burial trenches, filled with unknown Confederate dead.


The location of Col. David Moore's 21st Missouri position before being forced back into the woods along the sunken road.

 

About 1030 I headed back to the Visitor Center area to watch a couple of demonstrations. One taught the little kids how to be an artilleryman; one kid wearing a red kepi seemed to already have a decent idea. This gun was not included in the demonstration.


Some observations: the gun carriages look like wood, but aren't. They're all-metal, even the wheels.

The park has plenty of deer, and they're only a tad wary – they head for the woods when one approaches, but don't raise their white flags.

I left the park about 1200 when it was getting hot & humid. I continued north on TN-22 through some bottomland, then turned west on US-64. US-64 is part of the Tennessee Civil War Trail, original route of the Trail of Tears, and the Buford Pusser Highway (the latter individual is fromAdamsville, where I stopped for gas).

I picked up US-45 at Selmer; it's the Rockabilly Highway. I followed it to Jackson, where, trying to spot a place to eat, I missed a turnoff to the bypass. No problem, the street I was on moved right along and would cross US-412 shortly. I got desperate for anything for lunch, and reminded myself of why I avoid McD's. US-412 is a good 4-lane road. Unfortunately, my air conditioning started acting up. I had to slow to 60 to keep Subie from feeling like a hot oven. That gave me time to notice the Safari Park and herd of zebras at Alamo.

Arrived about 1430, and started working on this while waiting on my room. Checked in, went out to eat at a Huddle House (not bad), and ready to post.

For the day: 157.3 miles; for the trip 1823.3. Home tomorrow, only 314 miles to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment