Monday, September 14, 2026

2026 Michigan Trip, Day 4 - Ironwood to Kearsarge

 Day 4, Monday 14 September 2026 - Ironwood to Kearsarge

Not a lot of writing, just a lot of pictures, mostly focusing on water. Here’s a Lake Suprior shoreline:


A Lake Suprior Shoreline

After the traditional QI waffle, I headed out 0705 CDT, temperature 37 degrees cold. I’m driving eastward on US-2, fighting that big orange ball again, but only for 11 miles. Then it’s northward on Presque Isle Road. This road leads me to a portion of the Porcupine Mountains WildernessState Park. I have a nice chat with the lady at the entrance gate as she convinces me to part with $42 for an annual pass good at any state park, equivalent to the price of 3 daily passes.

I take a quick hike to the closest fall overlook, get a picture or twenty, then head for the next overlook.


Waterfall with log hung up on rocks

This one requires a descent via a 100+ step stairway. I take a bunch more pictures, then ascend the same steps to return to my car.


Borad view of waterfall
Closer view of side section of falls

Now I’m driving through woods (again) heading for the real attraction here – Lake of theClouds. A 30-mile drive & an easy walk are followed by some rock climbing then a nice boardwalk to multiple overlooks, each presenting a slightly different view and requiring more shots. The lake is a mile long but only 15 feet deep.



View of Lake of the Clouds
Vertical view of Lake of the Clouds & cliff.

Another Lake of the Clouds view.

The last overlook presents a panorama of the mountains & forests to the southwest, forests showing very little color yet.


View from Lake of the Clouds overlook showing forests

MI-64 follows Lake Superior’s shoreline. One gas station is charging $4.65/gallon. A motel sign reads, “Will Canada’s Geese Become Donald’s Ducks?” Ontonagon is the northern terminus of US-45; the other end is in Mobile, AL. I skip site-seeing here and take MI-28 to MI-26. MI-26 passes Boondocks Golf & Cabins and Twin Lakes State Park. Towns along this route include Toivola, Painesdale, Trimountain, and South Range. A sign painted on a barn: “Please don’t feed the mosquitos.”

I finally get to Houghton, largest city in the area, about 1300 EDT, and have lunch at … Culver’s. I’m now on US-41, crossing the drawbridge and stopping at Hancock to visit the Finnish-American Heritage Center, all that remains of defunct Suomi College/Finlandia University. I now the correct pronunciation of my Ammala & Juopperi ancestors’ names.

With time to kill, I took a side trip to F.J. McClain State Park, walk its beach looking for interesting rocks. A couple of Monarch butterflies didn’t make it to the migration; this one was on the beach.


A dead monarch butterfly on sand

The park also has a life-saving surf boat on display here.


Beach view with boat

I head back toward my cabin at Vic's; it’s tiny but well thought-out. I may decide to cook something (and then wash the dishes), but not tonight.

Vic's Cabins office/sign

My cabin at Vic's, car in front

 Tomorrow: Up in the air, depending on weather. If clear, I may head to Copper Harbor; if not, I’ll visit some local memories (& maybe get tires rotated & oil change – my Rav4 just crossed 40,000 miles).

For the day: 174.9 miles, for the trip 1002.9

No comments:

Post a Comment