Friday, September 18, 2026

2026 Michigan Trip, Day 8 - Kearsarge to Grand Marais

 Day 8, Friday 18 September 2026 – Kearsarge to Grand Marais

I woke up early, as usual, and was on the road in grey pre-dawn at 0630 EDT (aside: this part of Michigan uses Eastern time, although it’s directly north of Milwaukee – in effect, on double DST). I get through Calumet & Houghton OK, and am soon on US-41 heading east. At Chassell I say goodbye to old Portage Lake; it was always sad to take our last look from the window of the Copper Country Limited.

Soon I’m driving next to Keweenaw Bay as I approach the head area, A little wait in a construction area give me chance to shoot the sunrise.


Sunrise over Keweenaw Bay

Baraga was named for an early bishop who served the area. L’Anse is home to a tribal reservation; are those white columns steam or maybe smoke signals? I pass turn-offs for Dynamite Hill Road and Northiron Church. I’m now passing south of the Huron Mountains.

The road leads through the 3-lakes area; I see Ruth Lake & Lake George, but not the 3rd one. Here’s Michigamme. This whole area appears to be igneous rock of some sort, probably iron-rich since Marquette ships a lot of ore. Here’s Ishpeming and the Sku & Snowboard Hall of Fame. Negaunee was a small town when we visited in 1978; it’s busy now.

Marquette is the largest city in the U.P., with a bunch of roundabout junctions that few seem to understand. I leave US-41 here and continue east on MI-28; I am amazed that the speed limit is up to 65! MI-28 follows the shoreline; it draws some unusual lodging choices – one place has tepees and yurts for “glamping.” I think it was near Christmas, Michigan – yes, that’s a town.

I arrive in Munising at 1015. The welcome center suggests 2 places for a good breakfast. The likeliest one’s line extends out the door. Dogpatch sounds questionable but it has no line and a solid breakfast.

Now, it’s time for serious sight-seeing. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore has more than just rocks – it has water! Munising Falls is closed, but Miners Falls is tallest in this park – which means more switchbacks and steps to get to it. It’s a nice .6 miles each way, with the last 200 feet or so consisting of steps. The pictures are worth the effort!


Miners Falls, Pictured Rocks

I survive that little expedition, so now it’s time to see the Miner’s Castle rock formation. Did I take pictures? Of course!

Miner's Castle view
Miners Casle with boat passing

The Grand Sable Dunes start where the pictured rocks leave off. They rise precipitously from the narrow beach. Lumbermen in the area found it convenient to slide the logs down the dune to the be shipped to their destination, hence the “Log Slide” view point. This view shows the Au Sable light, about 2-3 miles west.

 


My last stop of the day, and it’s a doozie – a short walk followed by 168 steps down to the Sable Falls view point, then that 168 stair steps back up.


View of Sable Falls

I make Grand Marais about 1500 and find my motel. I will cast judgment upon it tomorrow. I explored the town, saw some classic cars at a meet-up (Studebaker – wow!), then went rock hunting on the beach.


Rock pickers on beacch, dunes in background

Supper at The Breakwall cost a tad more than I’d been spending on food, but the chicken Caesar salad filled a need for protein and for salad. Back to my room – I hope to get an early start tomorrow!

Tomorrow: Sault Ste. Marie via Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish Point.

For the day:228.8 miles, for the trip: 1559.2


No comments:

Post a Comment