Friday, May 17, 2024

Day 10, Friday, May 17th - Pratt to Warrensburg

I had difficulty sleeping, so I got up really, really early and pulled out at 0410. K-61 was almost empty at that hour; I met few trucks and fewer cars, plus a few freights on the neighboring track. I picked up US-50 at Hutchinson, just as a faint glow started to lighten the northeast horizon.  By Newton, Homer's "rosy-fingered dawn" began to appear.  Fog also started to appear.

By the time full daylight arrived, I remarked to myself, "I've never seen Kansas so green." Rain does cause things to grow this time of year. The Marais des Cygnes River was definitely out of its banks!  At Ottawa, I turned toward home on K-68, passing a silo tree about 5 miles east of town.  A stop for gas at Harrisonville (cheapest prices in the area), a stop for road construction on MO-2 just west of MO-131, and I was home at 1000. Then came the fun part - finding the house behind the high unmown grass. Guess I need to get on that.

For the day: 312.4 miles, for the trip 2275.3

Average gas mileage for the trip, per the tracker in my new Toyota Rav4 hybrid, 41.1. I'll do some calculating later to verify and post it when I do my wrap-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment