Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Day 7, Tuesday, May 14th - Around Albuquerque

 Day 7, Tuesday, May 14th – Around Albuquerque



Up not-quite-as early this morning, ate the motel breakfast, and planned how to avoid Kansas construction Thursday. Got back to Old Town around 0800, because I checked the computer clock (which I never reset to MDT), an hour before the Albuquerque museum opens. A convocation of dog walkers took place on museum grounds, but was over before I decided to exit my car and look at the sculptures on the grounds.


The art part of the museum represented well-known New Mexico based artists with large, gallery-sized pieces, many of which I recognize from having seen them year after year. The history part condenses a great deal of information into 4 mini-galleries, and there is a special exhibit on “Nuclear New Mexico.” I spent most of an hour and a half there.

My next planned event was lunch at the Church Street Cafe, in an old adobe building. I once took a picture of the “three sisters” by a horno on the patio, now enclosed to provide more seating. I sat on a bench at the Plaza while waiting for the 1100 opening, and chatted a bit with a gentleman polishing his '56 Buick. I had chile relleno, which was good, for lunch.

 

                                Interior of Church Street Cafe, showing original adobe wall

Next stop was the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. It has really changed/professionalized since my last visit at least 6 years ago. It more clearly tells you which pueblo speaks which of the 5 languages from 3 different families, and covers how they got to where they are today. Did you know the pueblos have their own baseball leagues? The special exhibit tells all about them. I talked for a while with a Marine veteran artist/potter from Acoma, and took a picture of billowing clouds rising above the dance ground.

 


Gas was $2.99/gallon at the Pueblo-owned station, so I topped off and headed back to the hotel to finish replanning Thursday.. Supper was green chile stew back at Laguna Burger.

Tomorrow I start back, Old 66 to Moriarty,M-41 to Willard, and US-60 to Clovis, with a stop at Bosque Redondo.


For the day: 3.9 miles, for the trip 1274.6

Average gas mileage to date: 40.7

No comments:

Post a Comment