Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Day 1, Wednesday, May 8th, 2024 - Warrensburg to Abilene

I hadn't slept well Tuesday night, possibly concerned about beating the severe storms forecast for 0700-0900. Was on the road at 0445, lollygagging along because I don't like driving at night. My route was the usual one: BB to SW 200 to MO-58 to Holden then south on MO-131 to MO-2, thence to Harrisonville to top off on $2.96 gas. My mileage in the Rav 4 hibrid this far was about 48 mpg.

I continued past Skyline school, concerned about the approaching storm. I was right to be concerned; I hit the front at Louisburg with driving rain and small hail. Finally got past the storm and could see the tid-bits I always look for. First was Prairie Paws Animal Shelter just before Ottawa. I was going to stop for a picture of Friends University there, but Ottawa now has a by-pass. *Actually, Friends U. is in McPherson - Ottawa has an interesting courthouse.

I took a short break at Casey's in Pomona – there's a.silo tree just west of town on K-68. Crossed onto K-268, then, at US-75, continued due west on K-31 north. Some fields were overgrown with young trees, showing what happens when you neither mow nor use fire on these grasslands. Osage City has a railroad and mining museum; it also has a nice looking downtown. Just north of town, K-31 joined US-56 for a while, passing an 1894 frame schoolhouse.

Burlingame claims to be the kettle corn capital of Kansas; it was also a mining town. It has a brick street, the Highway to Hair salon and Chicken Coop Antiques. I'm now in the Flint Hills, known for grazing and small oil wells. And, wouldn't you know it: K-99/K-4 at Eskridge is part of the Native Stone ScenicByway. Aside – many years ago Sandra & I attended a performance of a new play, “Native Stone,” at Arrow Rock.

This area has ranch homes, often made of stone, and grand vistas from the hilltops. It has stone fences left over from the days when farmers were paid a bounty to build them – Sandra would have made me stop so she could add a few stones to her collection.

                                            a house  on a hill
                                                roper statue
                                            Rock walls

Crossed under I-70 onto a road being improved. At K-18 to Manhattan, I've moved into bottom lands along the Kaw. The Toyota's map shows a town of Swamp Angel to the north, which could be named for a cannon used against Confederate Fort Sumter.

My reason for stopping at Manhattan was to revisit the Flint Hills Discovery Center there. We'd been there many years ago, but it most certainly has expanded, The exhibits cover the history, flora and fauna of the Hills well, but the arrangement is a bit confusing.

Flint Hills Discovery Center - lots of stuff for adults & kids

K-177 heading south is a brand new divided highway down past Ft. Riley to I-70. I-70 was, as one might expect, busy – especially since it had stretches of single-lanes. I exited and picked up old US-40, a well-maintained road, looking for a cafe, At Chapman, I found Grandma's House, The menu is limited but the breakfast sampler was generous and tasty.


Arrived in Abilene at 1220 and went straight to the Eisenhower Library. I went through the museum that covered his youth, his military career, and his Presidency, then wandered about the grounds.

                                                Ike statue and his museum
                                            Ike museum aligns with grain elevator

The Dickinson County Museum is just blocks from “The Ike” and features a neat carousel, something that Sandra would have insisted on riding even if it's not as grand as the one in Burlington, CO.


Was able to check in early to my Holiday Inn Express, which is soon to be replaced by a brand-new one next door. Supper was an excellent chicken fried steak at M&R Grill, Abilene.

 

Tomorrow: Old US-40 to Salina, K-140/K-156 to K-4, then US-83 to Monument Rocks, El Quartelejo ruins and Scott City.

For the day and the trip: 257.2 miles, total time 7:32, less 1:25 for 1st museum.

Average mileage thus far: 43.5

No comments:

Post a Comment