Saturday, May 11, 2024

Day 4, Saturday, May 11th - Tucumcari to Santa Fe

 0500, MDT: Last night, when I wanted to add more 1s & 5s to my wallet, I could not find the spare wallet with my spare cash. Went through everything, just not there. Perhaps I left it on a brown countertop or blanket in Scott City. Called the motel, the night person knew nothing, would ask the manager in the morning. I've been fretting ever since, even had a dream about something similar.

I hit the road about 0630 local time, hoping to catch lighter traffic on I-40. 32 miles later I got off at Newkirk and headed north om NM-129, a little-traveled road through red rocks and buttes. One stock man along the road uses solar power to help his windmill pump water. Three muleys cross the road ahead of me. Fence posts are slender tree branches, perhaps juniper – there's plenty of that to choose from. 


 

49 miles in, I hit NM-104. It's a tad bit better-maintained in this area. I keep passing mesa after mesa, like headlands on a coast. In fact, many of them are – the Canadian Escarpment is a thousand foot high wall from south of Las Vegas all the way to Clayton. Pretty soon I have to climb it – an adventure to be sure, especially after a rain dislodged smaller rocks. My new car is pretty good at evasive maneuvers.


                                    A view from half-way up

At the top, I'm back on high plains grasslands, where I see my first antelope of the trip. The road drops down to Las Vegas (NM), where I top off the tank for $3.09/gal. Next stop is about 40 miles down the road: Pecos National Historic Park. Two tour buses and assorted other vehicles fill the parking area, each with bundled-up passengers hopeful of a trip to visit the pueblo ruins. I had other plans.

In 1862, a Civil War battle was fought nearby, and the park now controls much of the field. I get directions and a gate code to access the parking area leading to a 2+ mile loop trail. Some of the fighting was up here among the pine, juniper and rocks, while other parts of the action were down below in the valley. I made a good portion of the loop trail and took pictures, a real accomplishment for a flatlander of my years.

 

                                                    Battlefield overview
                                                    Lots of woods
                                                        Confederates took refuge in this ditch
                                                Federal line in this area
                                            Look at these rocks on Artillery Ridge

                                                    Major action in the valley below


I'm looking for a cafe, none to be found. I take the Old Pecos Trail exit, see a street name I recognize, and found myself at Museum Hill. I bought a culture pass and toured the International Folk Art Museum

                                                                Folk art

    the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture (my favorite!)


and the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian. Several hours later I check in at the new Holiday Inn Express, unload, and go looking for a recommended New Mexican restaurant, the Pantry. Back to the motel to work pictures, get this posted, etc.

Tomorrow: the Santa Fe Plaza, three more museums, and more good food.

For the day: 210.0 miles, for the trip: 1175.4.

Travel time for the day: about 4 hours

Average gas mileage thus far: 40.9 mpg


No comments:

Post a Comment