Sunday, May 19, 2024

Wrap-up, May 19th – Warrensburg

 The stats:

Approximate miles by state (differs by 4 miles due to rounding error):

Missouri – 131

Oklahoma – 142

Texas – 318

New Mexico – 725

Kansas – 963

Approximate miles of “virgin roads,” those I'd never before driven: 869. or about 38%. Kansas was the real leader here. With all the trips I've made in that direction, it's surprising that I could find so many.

Calculated gas mileage between the Harrisonville stop on the way out and the stop there on the way back (this includes all gas & miles for 2177 miles): 40.02. Average gas price was $3.04

Best meals of the trip:

  • Grandma's House, Chapman KS (Day 1)

  • M&R Grill, Abilene (Day 1)

  • La Cita, Tucumcari (Day 3)

  • Pantry, Santa Fe (Day 4)

  • Frontier Restaurant, Albuquerque (Day 5)


I probably wouldn't go back to:

  • Any Chili's

  • Plaza Cafe, Santa Fe (food was fine, prices not)


Museums: I visited a total of 18 museums or visitor centers with exhibits (links on each day's travel report). I can't say anything bad about any of them. I think the most impressive was the Panhandle Plains Historic Museum in Canyon. TX, for its comprehensive and well presented collection.

If you're a serious museum-goer and traveling to New Mexico, the New Mexico Culture Pass (https://www.newmexicoculture.org/visit/culturepass) is a great bargain. It admits you to seven museums and all the state historic sites, one visit each, over a 12 month period.

Summary:

My new Rav 4 hybrid performed well on the trip. While certain aspects are less convenient than the Forester, it turned out to be more comfortable on long stretches of driving. The turning radius,and head and legroom are comparable. I think it has a bit more space in the storage area. It is noisier both from wind noise and when the engine kicks in, and it doesn't have a rear window washer. The difference in gas mileage saved $50-$75.

Overall, it was an enjoyable trip. It cost a tad over $2000, if I include the IHG points I bought to get more 'free' room nights. Lodging was most expensive item, followed by cat boarding, food and fuel. I'm already planning next summer's trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment